Habitat's Veteran Initiative
The mission of Habitat for Humanity International's Veterans Build is to engage active service members, veterans, their families and families of the fallen to build homes, communities and hope; while also ensuring they have the skills and support needed to achieve successful and sustainable homeownership.
The Five Pillars of Veterans Build
1. BUILD: Through new construction, rehabs, repairs and barrier free renovations provide simple, decent, affordable housing and homeownership opportunities for military service members, veterans, their families and families of the fallen.
2. EDUCATE: Provide veterans with access to financial education programs that support sustainable homeownership and promote a better understanding of military/veteran culture among Habitat's civilian supporters.
3. MOBILIZE: Engage service members, verterans, their families, families of the fallen and Habitat's civilian supporters to serve and honor verterans together in volunteer opportunities and veteran focused advocacy both domestically and abroad.
4. EMPLOY: Leverage the skills and experience of veterans for employment, internship, fellowship, apprenticeship and national service opportunities within Habitat and enable similar opportunities with partner organizations.
5. HONOR: Identify opportunities to honor service members, veterans, their families and families of the fallen (Target dates include: Veterans Day, 4th of July, Memorial Day, etc.).
Veterans Build Fast Facts
* Over 68% of affiliates report actively engaging veterans/service members in their programs.
* Habitat has completed over 600 projects in partnership with veterans as partner families, including new construction, rehabs, renovations and home preservation projects.
* HFHI is currently partnering with other veteran focused organizations to provide a holistic approach to meeting veterans' needs.
* Habit for Humanity is the first lender in New York State given the opportunity to use HUD-VASH vouchers for homeownership.